1. Feel Good About Yourself Today
Be sure the people around you make you feel good about you -- no matter what your size or health condition. In addition, if close friends encourage you to smoke, overeat, or drink too much, find some new friends who have good health habits and also want a healthier you."Instead, focus on being healthy from the inside out," Magee says. "Eat well, and exercise regularly. And remember that you can be sexy and look and feel fabulous and not be thin."
2. Rethink Your Role Model
Select positive role models. Choose role models that help you feel good about who you are, rather than ones who make you feel bad. Find a female role model who is strong, healthy -- and real!
3. Know What Makes You Overeat
The key to staying motivated is to know where your problem areas are and have a plan for dealing with them. Do you use food to cope with disappointment, rejection, boredom, or even personal success?
Brainstorm some healthier ways to cope with mood swings that do not involve food. In addition, control your environment to avoid bingeing on high-calorie foods when you do feel disappointed, rejected, or bored. Keep your kitchen stocked with lots of healthy options such as chunks of fruits and veggies, low-fat yogurts, flavored waters, and sugar-free gum.
4. Make Simple Daily Change
Who said health-related lifestyle changes had to be all or nothing? Start small and make a few simple weight loss and exercise changes each day. These small changes can add up over time to give you a big health boost. Here are some suggestions:
- Add 5 more grams of fiber to your daily meal plan.
- Cut out refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice,patotoes and sweets
- Avoid foods with trans-fats
- Add two more servings of veggies at lunch and dinner
- Drink three more glasses of water each day
- Add 10 minutes of walking to your daily exercise regimen
- Take a break every hour at work and walk 500 steps in place (2,000 steps burns 100 calories)
- 5. Never Go Hungry
Rigid diets don't work for anyone. Include planned snacks in your daily diet to prevent binges. Make sure you allow for treats once a week without feeling guilty. Have a brownie every Friday, and enjoy every bite.